My Recycling

My Recycling
This crate is filled once a week and taken to the big blue bin for Saturday recycling

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Kids and Recycling

Kids and Recycling

Good evening folks, first off let me just say that this weekend was just what I needed. I’m a big fan of blues music and I got my fill. I saw B. B. King at the Diamond Center with my brother and some friends and today I went to Reid Park for the Blues Festival. For those of you who missed it I recommend going next October. Good food, music and it was free. Those who went really got spoiled.

For this week I thought I’d take a look at websites that involve kids and ways to teach them about recycling. The first site I found was called Just For Kids Recycling. In this site there are many questions about recycling and waste. Short answers are provided after clicking the question. One of the answers on what is considered recyclable mentioned that playground equipment can be recyclable. I learned something new today.

This next website gives lots of information on the three R’s (reduce, reuse and recycle) but the main reason I chose this website is because at the end of the page are lists to other linked sites. Kids can go in and search for facts and even participate in different activities to help them learn about recycling.

The website is:

http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/recycle.htm

The “Recycle” portion of this website gives a pretty good overall definition of recycling which I don’t think I added to this blog in the first week. That would have been a good way to start but hey, better late than never. Here is one definition of it:

“Recycling occurs when you save and take reusable materials to places where they can be remade into either the same product or new products, rather than to just toss them in the trash. Making new items from recycled ones also takes fewer energy and other resources than making products from brand new materials.”

In the next paragraph I thought it was interesting when it talked about recycling products like a soda bottle and how it could be made into “T-shirts, combs, or hundreds of other plastic goods that can be used for many years.” I can’t wait to drink a soda and think to myself, ‘this will be a comb I might buy at the store.’

This next site called Kids Recycle Page will also provide fun ways for kids to learn about recycling. More games and facts are provided. The search is a little easier as well.

Wal-Mart also seemed to get involved with children and recycling. This site discusses how children can help and which Wal-Mart locations kids can take bags of recycling to. Unfortunately entries were taken until August but something tells me this isn’t the only year this will happen. Good luck to future particpants. The website is:

http://www.kidsrecyclingchallenge.com/index.html

Hope everyone has a good week and stays relaxed throughout the chaos. Talk to you all next week.

No comments: