My Recycling

My Recycling
This crate is filled once a week and taken to the big blue bin for Saturday recycling

Monday, October 29, 2007

Recycling Companies

Good morning folks. Another week in paradise is ahead. Saturday was a day of recycling in my neck of the woods. My brother and I hosted a Halloween party and we didn’t even have to remind everyone to recycle. We put the green bin outside and the bottles and cans piled up. Remember when I said it takes one week to fill our recycle bin, this week it took one night. Well done to all our guests. I went as Fredo Corleone from “The Godfather.” I can’t tell you how many people asked, “Who’s that?” Some people need to catch up on their movie history.

This week I thought I’d do a search for various recycling companies around the U.S. The websites I’m going to discuss looked interesting and ready to help raise awareness.

A website called CharMeck had lots of options for people who want to know what to recycle, how to organize it and where to leave it. I was more interested in how they promote their companies. This portion of the site gives a list of what to recycle and once you click on the hyperlink of each category, it takes you to the company listings and also gives addresses and phone numbers for comments and questions. If any of you have family and friends in North and South Carolina and if they’re interested in recycling certain products, tell them to browse through this site out.

For those interested in lamp recycling, here is a gem for you. This site has a list of addresses and emails to contact. I have to help my fellow Arizonans. There’s contact information for Earth Protection Services Inc. which has an office in Phoenix. The entire website is lamprecycle.org and the portion of the site I focused on was “lamp recyclers (U.S. and Canada).” The website as a whole is very detailed including the benefits of recycling florescent bulbs and also the state lamp regulations for every state.

The last site I want to bring up is about the Salvation Army. When I was a kid I remember donating clothes. I thought this would be a good opportunity to check out the Salvation Army site. This one I found discusses recycling in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland. It highlights textile recycling and one statement in particular sums up what the Salvation Army is about to lots of people who are less fortunate.
“The income The Salvation Army receives from its recycling activities helps to fund beds for the homeless, cups of tea for the thirsty, food for the hungry, comfort for the lonely, sick and deprived, and much, much more.”

Well folks another week ahead of court reporting for Reporting Public Affairs and working on an Ecotourism story with Alison Slater, a fellow classmate. Check out her blog that has a video of our interview with Mark Frederickson, who teaches Sustainable Ecotourism. Enjoy, have a good week and stay relaxed.

No comments: