My Recycling

My Recycling
This crate is filled once a week and taken to the big blue bin for Saturday recycling

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Workplace Recycling

Good evening readers. Back to the Sunday night blog. Hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine was a little more relaxing which was nice. I went to Tucson Meet Yourself and ate. I’m glad my brother dragged me to it. It was just I needed. Hope you all like the new photo; it’s the recycling in my house. It might be time to take it out to the bin but we might be able to fit a few more things in there.

Tonight I want to talk about office recycling. I just got off work and the most recyclable item I noticed was printed paper. Just walking around I saw four bins with lots of paper but I didn’t see any spots for recycling bottles or cans, etc. I might have missed them but from quick glimpses I didn’t see any.

I searched and found this website that discussed ways to recycle around the workplace. The overall site is:

http://www.wasteonline.org.uk/resources/InformationSheets/WasteAtWork.htm

There were a few categories I focused on. The “recycling” and “key office wastes and what to do with each one of them.”

Recycling in the workplace, I have no doubt is being brought to the attention of more employees, but I think it depends on the work environment and the dedication of people to want to recycle. Some companies recycle one or two things but not others that are just as important. Take my example from earlier about the printed paper. Of course some people will participate more than others but reminding fellow employees to recycle just might make even a difference. I remember in one of my previous jobs, cardboard boxes were never thrown away.

To get very specific of the section I’m talking about, here’s the link:

http://www.wasteonline.org.uk/resources/InformationSheets/WasteAtWork.htm#_Recycling

There were lots to the “key office wastes…” portion. The bullets helped in reading ways to minimize stationary. I used to type letters to a friend of mine who lived in Massachusetts but I’d send them by mail. When she responded, she’d write in pen on the back of my computer printed letter. It’s good to reuse paper clips and scrap paper as well. A lot of things on this list seem to be easy to remember when working but I forget almost all the time.

Recycle
Set up an office paper-recycling scheme. White paper is of a high grade and so is in demand from the paper industry. The market for this quality is much more stable than lower grades.
Check with your current waste management company whether they offer waste collection services for recycling.
Get in touch with your local authority recycling officer to check the services available. These may include storage containers or compacting equipment for large amounts of waste paper, as well as the handling of confidential paper waste.
Send CDRoms for recycling (see contacts)
Recycle ink cartridges or refill for your own use
Encourage staff to participate in recycling by keeping them informed about recycling performance.
Train your staff on the segregation of waste and provide appropriate storage containers, which are clearly labelled.

http://www.wasteonline.org.uk/resources/InformationSheets/WasteAtWork.htm#_Key

This is similar to what I was talking about with reminding fellow employees about recycling. It would be a tough job and I think one of the most forgettable recycling materials is ink cartridges. When we run out of computer ink, recycling it isn’t the first thing that’s on my mind. The ink is out, well time to throw it away and get another one. I might have to reuse a sticky paper to remind myself.


Hope you enjoyed this folks. Have a good week and stay relaxed.

No comments: